The history of The Ambassador Hotel
The Ambassador was formerly 5 separate Hotels: The Brinkburn situated on the corner of The Promenade and St. Georges Place, The Tegwell situated on the sea front promenade, The Bodond situated on St. Georges Place, Baldwin House situated on St. Georges Place and Glyn Isa also on St. Georges Place.
In 1850 plots of land on the Promenade were auctioned at the Castle Hotel Conway. All five Hotels were built soon after this date. Records show visitors in August 1867 from Allerton in Liverpool, Edinburgh, Smethwick, Hampstead, Northwich and Mr and Mrs William Shakespeare from Birmingham.
The early 20th Century
The Richmond hotel (The Glyn Isa & Baldwin House)
In the 1920’s The Glyn Isa was purchased by a Mr & Mrs Richmond who renamed the Hotel as The Richmond. In 1929 they had saved enough money to purchase Baldwin House next door which was merged with the Richmond Hotel. In 1940 the Richmond housed civil servants during World War II from The Ministry of Defence. The Richmond became the headquarters for The Coastal Battery School which moved to Llandudno from the South of England. The huge gun emplacements were below the Marine Drive on West Shore.
The Brinkburn (Brinkburn, Bodnod Hotel & The Tegwell Hotel)
From 1910 Mr Underwood ran Brinkburn as a private Hotel. In 1918 they purchased the Bodnod Hotel and merged it with The Brinkburn. In 1940 H.M. Government leased The Brinkburn as a hostel for female staff of the civil service during World War II. In 1947 it was purchased whilst still under Government lease by the Birchall Family and in July 1948 it was again re-opened for business. In 1969 the Birchall Family purchased The Tegwell Hotel next door and merged it with The Brinkburn.
Jim Williams - Our Founder
Jim Williams was the founder of the our family business. He started in the early 1920’s touting for business at Llandudno’s railway station offering to carry suitcases to his parents Bed and Breakfast in the family home. After service in the RAF he and his wife Freda purchased The Windermere Hotel at The Craig y Don end of The Promenade before they purchased The Richmond Hotel in 1958.
The Ambassador Hotel (The Brinkburn & The Richmond)
On 30th November 1986 The Williams Family bought The Brinkburn Hotel and merged it with The Richmond Hotel and renamed as The Ambassador Hotel.
Today, the former Hotel names are commemorated by inclusion within today’s Ambassador Hotel. The Bodnod and Tegwell are the names of one The Hotel’s lounges and Ground Floor function rooms respectively. The Glyn Isa, Richmond, Baldwin and Brinkburn are names used The Hotels Spa Rooms.
Our other spa room, The Gronwen is named after the house occupied by Jim and Freda Williams who were the first generation of The Williams Family to own a Hotel.
A Family Connection!
The 1881 census shows a solicitors clerk, William Hendesson, age 18 living in The Brinkburn. He was the nephew of the then owner Mrs Mary Bonkin. William Hendesson’s firm acted as solicitor to The Williams family when they bought The Richmond Hotel from Mr Stephens in 1958.
The Ambassador HotelThe Grand Promenade,
Tel: 01492 876 886
Fax: 01492 876347